June 23, 2017
I have been able to verify dates & locations for our 2017-18 GIBA schedule. The schedule page has been updated here. We are extremely fortunate to once again have Ebonite on board as our equipment sponsor for the GIBA.
There are a couple of items I want to mention related to our schedule for this season. We decided to make a slight change to the format of our Fusion Realtors/Community 1st National Bank Open tournaments. The Saturday qualifying squads will now be 6 games rather than the 7 game block we used in the past. The reason for this change is that we have struggled to get the 2nd and 3rd squads started on time. After visiting with a number of our bowlers, the vast majority felt making this change is our best option going forward. The other change is due to a change of ownership and some remodeling being done at Cadillac Lanes in Waterloo. Fran & Rich Eighme along with Zach Beschorner have purchased Cadillac so they now own Maple Lanes and Cadillac Lanes in Waterloo. They are in the process of remodeling at Cadillac and have rremoved 14 lanes as part of that process. As of this time, our plan is to have Cadillac Lanes still hosting the annual 50/50 team and 50/50 Doubles tournaments. In addition, the schedule currently shows Cadillac Lanes as the host center for the February 2018 Fusion Realtors/Community 1st National Bank Open. The work on the remodel at Cadillac is moving along this summer, and we are looking forward to taking a Fusion tournament back to Cadillac next season!
One other item I want to mention relates to the Iowa Open at May City Bowl. The USBC has changed the policy on qualifying events for the U.S. Open, and I have sent an application to them asking that our Iowa Open be recognized as a qualifier so the winner can earn a spot in the U.S. Open. As of this date, I have not been notified as to whether USBC has approved my application. If the Iowa Open is not accepted as a qualifier, the winner will be awarded with a paid entry to the USBC Masters instead of the U.S. Open. I did receive confirmation that our format for the Iowa Open is approved so I could apply for the qualifier tournament, but the final determination by USBC has not been made yet.
I look forward to seeing all of you at a GIBA event in the 2017-18 season, and thank you all for the tremendous support you have shown in the past!!